Decorating cookies can go beyond a quick layer of canned frosting and sprinkles. Although there is nothing wrong with the basics, choosing better supplies can help you transform your basic cookies into works of art. Royal icing, paintbrushes, and edible paint allow you to create intricate designs that are fun to make and an elegant dessert for any occasion. At Color My Cookie, we have a wide variety of cookie decorating kits that come with everything you need to create beautifully painted sugar cookies.
Follow These Tips to Prevent Porous Royal Icing
Royal icing is a fun and beautiful way to turn basic cookies into miniature works of art, but keeping the icing from becoming porous is critical for keeping your finished product smooth. To ensure your royal icing maintains the best possible consistency, avoid over mixing or over thinning your icing. Keep your mixer on a medium or low setting, mix your icing for five minutes, and add no more than one tablespoon of water at a time to your icing every 15-20 seconds of mixing. Making sure your royal icing is completely dry on the cookies before painting them is essential in avoiding smudges, blotchy icing, and other inconsistencies. You can do this by drying your cookies in front of a fan or in a cool oven overnight.
Supplies for Using Food Coloring to Paint On Royal Icing
Ensuring you have all the proper supplies necessary before getting started is a must when creating cookies almost too beautiful to eat. Our cookie decorating kits come with all the tools you need to perfect your cookie painting in one convenient package. In addition to cookies with a flat top surface that will be the easiest to add a perfectly smooth layer of royal icing to, you will need:
- Edible watercolor paints (on a cookie palette you can eat when you are finished!)
- Plenty of icing, sprinkles, and other edible cookie decorations
- Cups to hold the water you will need
Our cookie decorating kits also come with links to our helpful cookie decorating tips that can help you take your food painting skills to the next level.
Instructions for Painting on Cookies With Royal Icing
Food painting can be just as artistic as traditional painting. If you follow a few basic instructions for making sure your paint and royal icing are the best possible consistencies and learn a few techniques you can paint beautifully on cookies. To create beautifully painted cookies, you will need to:
- Ice your cookie with icing that has been mixed to a proper flood consistency, making it easiest to work with (our cookie kits come with pre-iced cookies so you can skip this step!).
- Shape the icing using a scribe tool or similar tool and allow the cookies to dry overnight.
- Mix food coloring with alcohol to prevent it from dissolving your royal icing (or our cookie kits come with edible watercolors on a palette cookie so you don’t have to make your own)
- Add paint in thin layers until you reach the thickness and amount of color you want.
- Let the paint dry and add details with a fine brush.
Shop Our Cookie Decorating Kits
Starting your cookie painting project with one of our easy-to-use cookie decorating kits is a convenient option for getting everything you need in one place. We offer a wide range of single-themed kits and subscription boxes that give you options for celebrating a specific occasion or simply having fun decorating some of the most artistic cookies in town.
We also offer mini cookie decorating kits with two cookies, if that works better for you than the six in our original kits. You can even order extra cookie palettes, paintbrushes, and other supplies to create the best possible experience for your group of any size. Browse our website today to select your favorite cookie decorating kit or place your order!