Have you ever seen sugar cookies that are so beautifully decorated, they’re (almost) too gorgeous to eat? Decorative sugar cookies are a fun and festive addition to any occasion, and learning how to paint sugar cookies and make them yourself can be a lot of fun.
If you’ve ever tried to use icing to pipe out intricate designs, you know that it can be a challenge. A much faster, simpler, and often more enjoyable method is painting cookies using special edible paints and then adding icing for quick and easy decorative accents.
To help you get started, we’ve put together a guide to making painted cookies at home using the Color My Cookie decorating kit collections. Instead of shopping for ingredients, preparing cookies, and making edible paints, you can jump right into cookie creativity with a complete kit. Using our cookie decorating kits, you can enjoy painting cookies with none of the stress and all of the fun, making this a sweet project you’ll want to do time and time again.
How to Paint Your Own Cookies
Are you ready to decorate cookies that look like miniature works of art? We’re covering everything you need to know, from start to finish, plus including a few of our favorite “smart cookie” tips:
Step #1: Get All Cookie Decorating Supplies
First, you’ll want to get all of your supplies - which means choosing your favorite kit from our constantly-growing collection. When you order your cookie decorating kit, you have the opportunity to choose your ship-by date and shipping speed (2-day and Next Day Shipping are available), so you know exactly when to expect your delicious delivery.
Step #2: Set Up Your Workspace
Once your Color My Cookie kit has arrived, set up your decorating workspace. Unpack the kit, laying everything out so that it’s easy to access. Fill up the empty cups with water, open up the various containers, and lay out the cookies. A baking sheet is a great way to contain any runaway sprinkles and spills, especially if you’ll be cookie painting with children.
Step #3: Watch The Tutorial Video
Using the information provided in your kit, access and watch the personalized tutorial video. Because each kit includes a tutorial specific to the cookie collection, you’ll be able to watch the cookie artist work with the exact materials you have on hand - and even get some inspiration!
Step #4: Start Decorating CookiesNow, it’s time to start decorating. You have a complete artistic license when it comes to your cookies, but you may find it helpful to restart the tutorial and follow along with your first cookie.
Here are some reminders for how to use edible cookie paints and other items in the kit:
- You’ll need to use water to wet each color on the edible paint palette so that the watercolor paints are ready to use. Don’t forget to rinse your brush in between each color.
- Stir metallic paints before using, to ensure that the color is properly mixed.
- Use water (plain or watercolor paint) to stick sprinkles on your cookie. If you only want sprinkles on certain areas of the cookie, make this your first step.
- If you make a mistake, clean water is a handy “eraser”!
- Icing is the perfect “glue” for larger, heavier decorative elements. Add just a little bit onto the decorative item, then firmly place it on your cookie.
- If you want to use icing to decorate cookies, squeeze the bag and slowly pipe the icing where you want it. Don’t forget to gently dip the tip into the icing on the cookie to pop any air bubbles.
Types of Cookie Painting Techniques
Depending on the decorating style and final look you want to achieve, you have a few options when it comes to how to make edible paint for cookies:
- Edible watercolor paints: Watercolor paints can create a softer look, making it simpler to blend and mix colors.
- Edible metallic paints: Metallic paints are perfect for frosting cookies for a special occasion, creating an eye-catching effect
- Edible gel paints: Gel-style edible paints are one of the most popular options because they are easy to work with and produce vibrant colors.
Don’t be afraid to experiment with various techniques, edible paints, and styles - especially because even your “failures” will be delicious!
What You'll Need To Paint Cookies
Here’s a short and sweet summary of what you’ll need for learning how to paint on royal icing cookies:
- Cookies with dried royal icing
- Edible paint palette and paints
- Small, clean paint brushes
- Stencils & designs (optional)
Of course, your Color My Cookie decorating kit already includes the cookies, edible paint palette and watercolor paints, paintbrushes, and lots of yummy extras like sprinkles.
Remember that decorating cookies with edible paint should be a fun experience, so don’t get too caught up in achieving perfection. No matter how your works of dessert art turn out, the fun is in the process itself - and eating the cookies, of course!
Decorate Like a Pro With Cookie Painting KitsNow that you know how to paint cookies, you’re ready to get started! Cookie painting kits from Color My Cookie are the perfect way to enjoy creating hand-painted sugar cookies without any of the work. Instead of spending your time searching for ingredients, baking cookies for decorating, and preparing sugar cookie paint, our kits let you skip straight to the fun part!
We’ve created a variety of themed cookie kits, giving you plenty of choices to suit any occasion - and any cookie lover! Some of our customers’ favorite collections include “Unicorns & Rainbows,” “Let’s Fiesta!,” “Dino Dig!,” and “Trucks & Tractors.” With so many cookie choices - and new collections regularly released - there’s always something new to try.
Each cookie painting kit comes with:
- Six of our signature sugar cookies
- An edible paint palette for cookies, complete with edible watercolors
- Icing, sprinkles, and edible decor
- Two paintbrushes and cups for water
- A link to an online tutorial led by an experienced pastry chef, teaching you how to hand paint cookies using your specific kit
Creating gorgeous cookies can take some trial and error - from finding the best sugar cookie recipe for decorating to perfecting edible paints and royal icing consistencies, it’s often a steep learning curve. So, if you’re looking for a fun project to do with family or friends, cookie kits can be a delightfully delicious solution.
Paint Your Own Cookies With Color My Cookie!
Decorate cookies the fun and easy way with Color My Cookie, the original creator of themed cookie decorating sets. Leave the shopping, baking, and mess-making to us, and spend more time making sweet memories.
You’ll receive a set of our famous sugar cookies, made using our beloved recipe in our Texas bakery. No matter which Color My Cookies you choose - Under the Sea, Happy Birthday, Trucks & Tractors, or any other - you’ll also be provided with everything you need to start painting right away.
We also have mini cookie kits (for a thoughtful gift, small group, or even a cookie decorating session for one!) and add-on items to personalize your experience. Our personalized tutorials teach you everything you need to know about cookie painting techniques so that your cookie creations are just as adorable as they are tasty.
Check out the full selection of Color My Cookies to order your cookie painting kit now!